The Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment selected Dr. Shaun Gogarty as the 2019 Public Health Champion for displaying significant contributions to Pueblo’s public health.
“Congratulations on a well-deserved award to Dr. Gogarty. Pueblo’s public health community acknowledges Dr. Gogarty as a role model in the Pueblo community,” stated Randy Evetts, public health director at the Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment.
A community selection committee chose Dr. Gogarty for his promotion of health and protecting the environment. Dr. Gogarty accepted the award at the monthly Pueblo Board of Health meeting in May.
Dr. Gogarty’s involvement as a role model for public health was observed in many areas
- As a momentous figure in the local battle against substance abuse.
- As a member of Pueblo’s Heroin Task Force who brought community members and partners to the table to collaboratively plan how to address substance abuse in Pueblo.
- Active participant in the evolution of the Task Force to SURE (Substance Use Response Ecosystem).
- Worked with both hospitals in Pueblo to change policies and procedures for individuals to start medically assisted treatment (MAT) when in the emergency room.
- Instrumental in bringing MAT providers to Pueblo; increasing treatment capacity to over 2,000.
- Provides education to any group that requests information on substance use in Pueblo County. For example, the Greater Chamber of Commerce.
- Sits as a community representative on the LEAD (Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion) Key Stakeholder Policy Committee; making LEAD a reality in Pueblo County.
Nominations were received from Pueblo community partners in addition to Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment’s Board of Health and health department staff members.